PhotoBucket Pictures

Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 29

  

After a night in the Baltimore's Motel 6 we woke up hungry & with a overrunning errand list.

Bought an amazing loaf of pesto/olive oil bread at Mom's grocery & walked over to REI to replace my leaky air mattress. Exchanged it & bought some other stuff including a national rock climbing guide. Paged through it & found that we were minutes away from picturesque climbing. Talked Shane into heading over. 15 miles from downtown DC you can find a park unchanged since the Puritans landed. Wow: deer, turtles, cliff & crags, and whatever else is in the best wilderness setting you can imagine. The historical Potomac river slices through the center of this park, caged in by 70-foot shale cliffs. perfecto rock climbing! Problem is Shane & I are distracted by the extensive beauty & end up exploring all day.

Before we know it its time to find a place to sleep, upon recommendation we head downstream along the Billy goat trail. Problem is the trail is for Billy goats & we have massively overpacked. My pack is near 70 lb & Shane's has to be that at least. I finally find a shell beach that looks good & its not 5 minutes before I'm down to my shorts & jumping in headfirst. The water is a welcome relief from our 5 hour, 100 degree, waterless hike.

After setting up my tent I rig up my pole so we can have some proper protein for dinner. Unfortunately spinners weren’t working so I just went swimming again.

I scrabbled up the cliff & found Shane cooking our normal sustenance. Rice, Mom's pesto bread & ranch beans; overly seasoned with Mexican (extra) hot sauce.

Small campfire with driftwood, laugh a little. goodnight friend.

Moments after finally falling to sleep I am vividly dreaming. I never dream. Dreams change from adventures to very very scary nightmares. I wake up screaming. Shane is jarred awake as you can imagine. Pray alittle, breath alittle & I'm good. Thing is I fall right back into another nightmare..awesome. Except I don't wake up from this one. Instead I am woken up by a Shane rapping on my tent door. "Dude, I had the most vivid dream. I had a girlfriend. It was sweet. She was Indian."

ahahhahahhahaaa

No comments:

Post a Comment